Groups For All Ages
Social language groups (i.e. “Social Skills”)– focusing on conversational balance, impulsivity, relevance, inferencing, social cues, flexibility, and small talk. Groups are not diagnosis specific and can accommodate most age gaps of the group by using older members as mentors to build their own self confidence and maturity. Activities allow for group input for activity planning by interest level. Groups are ideal for students receiving
individual pragmatic language therapy. Pragmatic language is the functional ability to use language in a social setting, and changing social situations. We help with knowing what is appropriate to say; where and when to say it; and how to structure reciprocity.
- Pragmatic language skills of abstraction and inferencing
- Emotional regulation
- Initiating, maintaining and closing a conversation
- Problem solving and negotiating skills
- Language to support friendship (compliments, friendly tone, greetings, etc.)
- Good sportsmanship
- Appropriate nonverbal language behaviors
Participants are required to commit to one month at a time. Insurance claims can be submitted for those on active therapy programs at KSLC. Some enter after years of individual social language therapy who may or may not still be in a school program, but need continual help in this area as they progress to more sophisticated levels of social communication skills. Groups at KSLC are goal oriented, and can be coordinated with any other active programs from our center, outside our center, or from school.
1.Pragmatic Language /Social skills group for age 6-9, Avon- Time to be announced
2. Pragmatic Language for tweens (ages 10-13) , Avon
Meets weekly on Fridays 4:00- 4:45 P.M. This is a high functioning group for social language practice within natural activities.
3. High School Social Group, ages 13-17, Avon
Meets weekly on Wednesdays 6-7 P.M. This is a high functioning group for social language practice with peers.
4. SAT Review Group, Wednesdays at 5 PM, Avon